Saturday, August 1, 2015

I'm back with the Gerber Crucial

Sorry everyone, me and the family just got back from vacation in California. So the Gerber Crucial, I have been carrying the Gerber crucial for a while now and got some words I would like to share about it. I was hoping to do a video review on it and I still might just to give a hands on view of how this thing works. First off, the crucial comes in black, and green, and either comes with a carabiner or a strap cutter. That is the only two differences. The Crucial is 5.5 inches when opened, 3.6 inches closed. It weights only 5.0 oz and is stainless steel. When opened you have a nice set of needle nose pliers, a wider part considered regular pliars, not sure if it could really be used as regular pliers. The handle is pretty ergonomical, kinda. I say that because I hold them differently I think than most. All in all its ergonomical. The pliers are not spring loaded so you kinda have to use your pinkie to open them. The crucial has a wire cutter like most multi tool pliers, but also wire strippers below the cutter. When you shut the crucial, there is on one side a blade about 2 3/8" long, with half serration. On the same side, there is a flat head, and cross tip screwdriver. On the opposite side of the crucial, a pocket clip, and there is depending on your version, a carabiner, or my favorite a strap cutter. Whew lots of features on this guy, and I'm still not done! When you open the knife, screwdrivers, or strap cutter/carabiner, there is a liner lock. When I found out there was liner locks on ALL the tools on the crucial I was very impressed. The locks are really nice to have a secure (warm fuzzy) feeling when using it. I have used the screwdrivers on a couple "jobs" around the house. This is where I would have rather done a video review. You can leave the crucial closed and open the cross tip screwdriver and use it like that but I like to open the tool half way just to give 1. More torque and 2. More to hold on to. You unfortunately cannot use the flat tip the same way but it's still useful. Online at Gerbergear.com it says the crucial has a bottle opener and I don't really agree. Maybe the finger grab is considered a bottle opener but I'm not sure. The black color is rubbing off on mine, but I carry mine everyday. There is a little play when the pliers are shut down at the part that opens which is no big deal because they still work fine. On the strap cutter when it's closed, there is play but I think it's so you can open the strap cutter quickly in time of emergency because it is easy to open. I did have one day where somehow I was pulling it out of my pocket and the strap cutter was coming open. Only once, and will it happen again? I have no clue. The pocket clip cannot be moved to other mount points so it's pretty much a right handed carry. You can open and close the knife one handed with your right hand and the strap cutter with your left. So there it is the Berber crucial.

No comments:

Post a Comment